User Interface redesign of an educational public display

100_1440

On an earlier post I discussed how I used User Experience methodologies for my Masters Thesis to enhance a educational Bluetooth enabled system for the developing world context. This is detailed version of how I went about redesigning the actual display interface for an educational context using User Centred Design methods.

Continue reading

Mobile app development Part 4 – High fidelity and In-screen Prototyping

This is the fourth part in a series of how the development of a commercial educational  app was conducted. In the first part we looked at the need finding activities used to evaluate what features to include into the application. In the second part explored the creation of personas to reflect target user goals and motivations. The third part looked at the need for prototyping and user testing as being key in creating the perfect experience for the user.

Continue reading

Mobile app development Part 3 – Low fidelity Paper Prototyping

This is the third part in a series of how development of a commercial educational  app was conducted. In the first part we looked at the need finding activities used to evaluate what features to include into the application. In the second part explored the creation of personas to reflect target user goals and motivations. In this post we look at the need for prototyping and user testing as being key in creating the perfect experience for the user.

Continue reading

Mobile app development Part 2 – Personas

This is the second part in a series of how development of a commercial educational  app was conducted. In the first part we looked at the need finding activities used to evaluate what features to include into the application. In this second part we look at the creation of personas to reflect target user goals and motivations.

Continue reading

Usability design methods in my Masters project

This Microsoft-sponsored Masters project sought to explore a solution for some of the educational challenges experienced by a tertiary institution in developing world countries. These challenges were the high cost of bandwidth for Internet access and lack of money for building new computer labs resulting in overcrowded labs and fewer learners gaining access to information. The solution explored was one which would provide a reliable means of accessing time specific tasks for students through the use of existing technologies. Several Usability design methods were used to achieve this goal and I discuss them in this post.

Continue reading