Brief: An on-line fashion shop eCommerce business wanted to evaluate the user experience of the current website and use the results and recommendations to inform its short and long term website strategy.
*Note eCommerce business name has been not disclosed due to privacy issues.
My role: User Experience Consulting
Timeline: Two weeks
- Increasing profit margins by increasing conversion rates of visitor orders for browsed and searched items
- Reduce customer dropout and the barriers to purchase throughout the shopping experience
- Simplify and create more effective navigation to enhance the experience of shopping online
- Improve the site functionality, scalability, design and information architecture
- Heuristic evaluation of the current site focusing on website design guidelines and eCommerce best practices
- Analysis of critical user journeys or stories of common customer activities on the site
- Competitor analysis of the online shop over criteria such as Navigation, shopping cart process, checkout and searching functionality against three strong competitors in the fashion sector.
- Design of visual mockups of recommendations
Competitors were selected based on similar offering and were both regional and International competitors. This analysis informs management that the UX has done their homework and understands the critical business factors.
Competitor analysis showing weak areas of the site
- Optimized information architecture focusing on relabelling, layout and feedback messages.
- Improved implementation of the menu and navigation system
- Cross-selling of related items on product page view
- Improved shopping cart process by improving ability to modify shopping cart items and ability to return to section of the site the customer added something to the cart.
Still to be properly analysed as recommendations are to be added to product backlog. However the user flows below show how completion times on performed tasks, searching and browsing are considerable reduced.
Sample User journey showing 12 pages to checkout on the current site
Improved user journey flow to 6 pages using recommendations
Until deliverables such as competitor analysis and improved user journeys are presented no compelling case can be made to management about the apparent advantages the recommendations can make.
Selection of appropriate visual deliverables is critical to effective communication. I especially like the competitor analysis spiral diagram.
Simple tweaks in terms of technology or code used has major impact on the bottom line.